Thursday, March 8, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Beatrice is 16 and about to choose where she is going to spend the rest of her life. Although she was raised in the faction Abnegation, whose members value selflessness over any other trait, she chooses Dauntless, where bravery is the biggest requirement. After arriving at the Dauntless headquarters, she and the other initiates train in physical and mental combat. Only the top-ranked get to stay, so as the smallest, Beatrice is determined to do the work to get to the top.

So I'm about a year behind the times, but I will add my praise to large amount already out there. This book sucked me in. After reading straight through the first 2/3, I made myself stop because I had to get a least a few hours of sleep before work the next day. Then I didn't let myself pick it up for a few days until I had enough time to finish. I wouldn't recommend that process, because I had been away from the story long enough that the end felt a little disjointed, but I am looking forward to reading the next book, which is coming out May 1.

Tris is a compelling character. Her unstinting bravery and determination moved the book forward at a good pace. I admired her strength and spunkiness. I certainly wouldn't do well in Dauntless. There's a very nice romantic element in this book too, always a plus for me. Although I was inevitably reminded of The Hunger Games books, the comparison didn't detract from this story. But I wonder, would Tris and Katniss get along?

No comments: