Thursday, February 2, 2012

Book group 2 and e-readers

This post is about nothing in particular and a few things in general.

I'm in two book groups. This can sometimes lead to reading jams.

Tonight Book Group 2 met after our annual January hiatus. Book Group 2 is a boring name. I'm going to call it Book Group Austen. It's made up of women from church, usually four of us. Oh, I'm going to give the others Austen names! Elinor and Catherine have young grandchildren, and Jane is a few years younger than me with four cute kids. I'm the singleton, so when the others talk about parenting, I just smile, nod and tune out. Tonight we went over our reading list for the year, which led to talking about other good books we wanted to read. Elinor showed us a book she'd picked up at a used book sale: Lady-in-Waiting by Rosemary Sutcliff, about the wife of Sir Walter Raleigh, which sounded interesting. My other book group had read one of Sutcliff's YA novels; I didn't know she'd written for adults too. Catherine is reading Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz and thinks she'll suggest it for our reading next year. I'd seen the book at a (Polish-speaking) friend's house but hadn't known anything about it. I like that this group has introduced me to older books I'd never have picked up on my own.

Tonight we spent the first 15 minutes or so talking about our e-readers. There's one Kindle and three Nooks among us. The Kindle owner bought hers first, a couple of years ago I think, and I just bought my Nook a few weeks ago. The others really like their devices. I'm still deciding. The instant gratification aspect is fantastic, and I really don't have room for more paper books, but I just like reading real books. I like the feel and smell of paper and the sound of turning pages. And when I go back to re-read parts, it's so much easier to flip through the pages to find the spot I want than to swipe through the pages electronically or try to guess the page number. I also like taking notes in a real book. Handwriting just conveys more feeling and personality than typed letters. Maybe a few months from now I'll be writing a new blog post on how much I love my e-reader, but at the moment I still prefer real books.

Next month's read: Emma by Jane Austen. I've read it before, of course, but am happy to read it again.

2 comments:

Camille said...

I have a love- hate relationship with my e-reader. It is very convenient but I too love real books. Now that the library lends e-books I think I will use it more. I am glad you started a blog! I need to get the year reading list from you.

pie said...

Hi Camille!
I still need to figure out how to check out library books on my Nook. I'll email you the list for the year.