Monday, January 23, 2012

Awards Day!

Today is Newbery Medal Day! Okay, the books I read fall mostly in the Printz age category, but the Newbery is the one I always think of first. For the list of award winners, see the ALA press release.

Despite the fact that the great majority of books I read are Young Adult, I have usually never heard of the Award winners. I'm doing well if I've heard of one or two of the Honor books. This is okay, though, because it means there are even more good books to add to my to-read list. This year's winners, DEAD END IN NORVELT by Jack Gantos (Newbery) and WHERE THINGS COME BACK by John Corey Whaley (Printz), sound very good, and I look forward to reading them. I was glad to see that Maggie Stiefvater's THE SCORPIO RACES received a Printz Honor; it was easily one of my favorite books last year.

And not to leave out the Caldecott Medal, I read one of the Honor books, GRANDPA GREEN by Lane Smith, and it is lovely.

No comments: